Roasted Honeynut Squash with Maple and Pecans
Roasted Roasted Honeynut Squash with Maple and Pecans is the perfect fall side dish! Sweeter and smaller than butternut and so much quicker to make.
Roasted Honeynut Squash
I'm currently obsessed with honeynut squash!! This roasted honeynut with maple syrup and pecans is such a delicious side dish. It's even tastier than roasted acorn squash, which I typically prepare the same way. I could totally see having this squash for dessert with a scoop of ice cream! Can't find honeynut? Use the same spices in a baked sweet potato. For more roasted squash recipes, try my Roasted Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar and Maple Soy Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash.
Is honeynut squash the same as butternut?
Honeynut squash and butternut squash are very similar, but honeynut is smaller and sweeter. I first spotted honeynut squash a few weeks ago at my local supermarket, and I was intrigued. When I tested it out, I was officially hooked! I love how easy they are to cook. The size is perfect, and there's no need to peel them ' just roast the squash in the flesh and then scoop out with a spoon.
How to Roast Honeynut Squash
Simply cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and top it with a little butter and spices. Roast it in the oven at 425 degrees cut-side up until tender, about 35 minutes.
I seasoned the honeynut squash with cinnamon, but you can play around with pumpkin spice, nutmeg, etc. Once it's tender, drizzle some maple syrup on top and add chopped pecans for texture.
How to Serve Honeynut Squash
Look for larger honeynut squashes that weigh about 10 ounces for this recipe as I am serving half as a side dish. If you want to serve this recipe as a main dish, eat the whole squash and pair it with a fall salad like Mixed Baby Greens with Pomegranate, Gorgonzola, and Pecans or Baby Greens with Goat Cheese, Beets, and Candied Pecans.
Roasted Honeynut Squash Variations:
- Omit the nuts or try it with chopped walnuts or hazelnuts.
- Swap the cinnamon for pumpkin pie spice.
- Keep it dairy-free and use coconut oil in place of butter.
More Squash Recipes You'll Love:
- Parmesan Crusted Roasted Delicata Squash
- Roasted Seasoned Winter Squash Medley
- Kale and Butternut Squash Salad with Pears and Almonds
- Baked Spaghetti Squash and Cheese
- Turkey Chili Stuffed Acorn Squash
Roasted Honeynut Squash
- 2mediumhoneynut squash, halved lengthwise, 10 ounces each
- 1tablespoonsalted butter, softened
- 4teaspoonspure maple syrup
- 2tablespoonspecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425F. Scoop the seeds out of the squash and discard.
- Arrange squash halves cut-sideÂ up on a baking sheet. Spread the butter evenly over the top and in each cavity.
- SprinkleÂ with pinch of salt and cinnamon.
- Roast until tender in the center of the oven, 35 to 38 minutes.
- Drizzle each half with 1 teaspoon maple syrup and 1/2 tbsp chopped pecan, serve hot.