Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese, a healthier version of macaroni and cheese is so creamy and delicious, no one will ever guess it's also good for you!
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
A few weeks ago I posted this Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese recipe that swapped out pasta for cauliflower. Today I bring you this guilt-free mac and cheese recipe. Giving you all the comfort of the classic dish, but with an extra heaping of nutrients.
Hey there, I'm Heather K. JonesâI'm a dietitian,Â the nutrition expert forÂ theÂ tamil-recipes cookbooks, and the founder of the weight and wellness program,Â Feel Better Eat Better.Â If you struggle with emotional eating or weight anxiety, be sure to check out my freeÂ MasterclassÂ by clickingÂ RIGHT HERE.Â You'll find out the exact steps I teach my clients to create lasting success from the inside-out, even if they've triedÂ everything.
This guilt-free mac and cheese gives you all the comfort of the classic dish, but with an extra heaping of nutrients. Made with whole-wheat noodles, three cheeses (Gruyere, cheddar and Parmesan), shallots, and lots of good-for-your-body butternut squashâ¦ it's cozy, creamy AND nourishing! This is a new staple for me and my sisters. Just add a big green salad and you have the perfect anytime meal.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes You Will Love
- Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Greek Mac and Cheese
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Macaroni and Cheese Soup
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Olive oil spray
- Kosher salt
- 1poundcubed butternut squash
- 10ounceswhole wheat elbow pasta
- 1 Â½cupslow sodium vegetable broth, divided
- Â½teaspoononion powder
- Â½teaspoongarlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Â¼cuppanko breadcrumbs
- 2tablespoonsfreshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1tablespoonunsalted butter
- 1medium shallot, minced
- Â¼cupall-purpose flour
- 2cupsskim milk
- Â½cupshredded gruyere cheese
- Â½cupshredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped chives, optional, for garnish
- Sriracha sauce, optional, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9â x 11â glass baking dish with oil and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add squash and boil until tender, 5-6 minutes.
- When fork tender, transfer squash with a slotted spoon to a blender.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions. When cooked, drain and put back into the pot.
- Meanwhile, add Â½ cup vegetable broth, onion powder, garlic powder, Â½ teaspoon salt and pepper to the blender with the squash. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan, Â¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and sautÃ 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour evenly over the shallots and cook another minute.
- Add the remaining 1 cup broth and milk and whisk to combine. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook 5 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Remove pot from heat and whisk in cheese, pureed squash, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Add sauce to noodles, gently mix to combine, then transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture and bake 25 minutes. Switch oven to high broil and broil for 2-3 minutes, or until crumbs are starting to brown.