Baked Mexican Layer Dip
Grab some chips and dig into this cheesy, Baked Mexican Layer Dip made with spiced ground turkey, refried beans, salsa, green chilies, tomatoes, cheese and avocado.
Mexican Layer Dip
This easy Mexican dip is to die for! When I want a cold Mexican appetizer to bring to a party, we love this easy Taco Dip,Guacamole and Homemade Salsa recipe. But when I'm craving a hot dip, this is it!! Perfect for parties, football games or any time you're entertaining. It's hot, cheesy, delicious, and loaded with flavor! Grab some chips, add some friends and dig in!
I make this hot dip all the time, it's perfect to bring to parties and easy to prep ahead and refrigerate until you're ready to bake and eat!
How To Make Mexican Layer Dip
This easy Mexican layer dip starts with cooked ground turkey, seasoned with spices and mixed with refried beans as the base. Next layer is the jarred salsa and green chilies. Then it's layered with a Mexican blend of cheese that's baked in the oven until hot and melted. Once that's out, layer on the cold toppings'tomatoes, avocados, cilantro, scallions, and cotija cheese.
To make this dip ahead, cook the ground turkey meat and layer all the ingredients, finishing with the Mexican cheese blend. Then cover tight with plastic and refrigerate until ready to bake. Prep the remaining ingredients and pack them in small containers or ziplock bags. You can prep this dip a day in advance.
What can I make with leftover dip?
This dip is so delicious, and leftover should never be wasted. A Few ways I like to use up my leftover dip:
- Heat the leftovers in the microwave and serve it over charred corn tortillas to make tacos.
- Use leftover dip as a filling for empanadas.
- Heat the leftovers in the microwave and top it on tostadas.
Mexican Dips and Appetizers
Hot Mexican Layer Dip
- cooking spray
- 1pound93% ground turkey
- 2 1/4teaspoonscumin
- 1teaspoonsmoked paprika
- 1teaspoongarlic powder
- 1/2teaspoonchili powder
- 15ozcan fat-free refried beans, Trader Joe's
- 1 1/4cupsjarred medium salsa
- 4ozcan diced green chilies
- 1 1/2cupsreduced fat shredded 4 cheese Mexican blend, Sargento
- 1medium diced tomatoes, seeded
- 4ouncesfrom 1 small haas avocado, diced
- 2tablespoonscrumbled cotija cheese
- 1/4cupsliced scallions
- 1/4cupchopped cilantro
- baked tortilla chips, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350ÂºF. Spray a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with oil.
- Add ground turkey, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder and salt and cook, stirring until cooked through and browned, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add the refried beans and mix well. Spread evenly over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Next, pour the salsa and green chilies on top.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes until the edges begin to bubble. .
- Remove from oven, top with shredded cheese, place back into oven just long enough to melt the cheese, about 6 to 7 more minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with tomato, avocado, cotija, scallions and cilantro. Serve with chips
Photo credit: Erin Alvarez