Grilled Bourbon Chicken
Grilled Bourbon Chicken breasts are marinaded with soy sauce, Bourbon, brown sugar, ginger and spices then grilled until slightly caramelized on the outside and juicy on the inside.
BBQ Bourbon Chicken
This recipe takes boring grilled chicken to a whole new level! The inspiration came from the popular mall dish, Bourbon Chicken, a dish I used to get as a teenager at my local mall's Cajun-themed Chinese restaurant. I served it over cauliflower rice, but it would also be great with brown rice.
Rather than stir frying, and using all that oil and sugar they typically use in the dish, I lightened it up and made it on the grill with a lot less sugar. This chicken is so deliciously flavorful with hints of bourbon flavor.
What kind of bourbon to use for cooking?
I save my better Bourbon like Knob Creek for sipping, and use cheaper Bourbon like Jim Beam, Wild Turkey or Old Crow for cooking with.
Tips for making the BEST Grilled Bourbon Chicken
- The longer it marinates the better it tastes! I marinaded it for 12 hours but you can even do it overnight.
- If you don't have a gas grill, you can make this on a grill pan or under the broiler.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs would be great in place of chicken breasts. Increase the cook time to about 20 minutes, turning often if doing so.
- To make without alcohol you can eliminate the bourbon.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes you might enjoy:
- Grilled Chicken Tacos with Lettuce Slaw and Cotija Cheese
- Zesty Lime Grilled Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
- Korean Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Chicken with Black Bean Mango Salsa
- Grilled Chicken and Zucchini Yakitori
Grilled Bourbon Chicken
- 2pounds4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2cuplow sodium or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1/2cupunsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2cupfinely chopped yellow onion
- 2teaspoongrated ginger
- 4garlic cloves, minced
- 1tablespooncanola oil
- 1/4cupBBQ sauce
- 2tablespoonsapple cider vinegar, I like Bragg's
- 2tablespoonsbrown sugar
- Pinchred pepper flakes
- 1/2cuplow sodium chicken broth
- sliced scallions, for garnish
- Place the chicken breasts, 1 at a time, in a Ziploc bag. Pound the chicken breast to an even thickness, being careful not to puncture the bag. Put breasts in the bag.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, apple sauce, onion, ginger, garlic, oil, bourbon, BBQ sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and red pepper flakes.
- Reserve and refrigerate 1/3 cup of the marinade and transfer the remainder to the Ziploc bag with the chicken. Refrigerate and marinate for at least 30 minutes or as long as overnight (the longer the better!! I marinated mine 12 hours).
- Preheat outdoor grill over medium high heat. Discard the marinade in the bag and grill the chicken for 4 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a plate, tent with foil and allow to rest while you make the sauce.
- Put reserved 1/3 cup marinade in a small sauce pan. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once boiling, reduced heat to medium-low until sauce has thickened slightly, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Slice chicken breast, top with sauce, scallions and serve.