Gazpacho is a chilled soup traditionally from Spain, a perfect way to use up end-of-summer vegetables in your garden.
It is traditionally made with tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers but you can get creative and make variations. For a Mexican Gazpacho you can add avocado, cilantro and jalape', for an Italian Gazpacho add fresh basil and Parmigiano Reggianno. Personally... I prefer my soup spicy with jalepe's, cilantro and avocado. How do you like your gazpacho?
- 2large tomatoes, peeled
- 1/2medium cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1/4red bell pepper
- 1garlic clove
- 1tspred wine vinegar
- 2tspextra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 2tbspchopped red onion
- Place tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, garlic, salt, pepper and vinegar in the blender until smooth.
- Chill in refrigerator 1/2 hour.
- Pour into two large bowls and top with 1 tsp olive oil in each bowl, chopped red onion, salt and pepper plus toppings (shaved parmesan or avocado if using).
- Serve with good crusty bread.