Risotto is a creamy Italian rice dish usually made with Arborio rice. It can be a little time consuming but it's worth it. This is a dish that will impress guests. I used Baby Bella mushrooms, but you can use crimini, portobello, porcini or a combination of all three.
- 2cupsBaby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1clovegarlic, diced
- 2cupsarborio rice
- 1tspolive oil
- 2shallots, minced
- 1cupwhite wine
- 8cupsfat free chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- 1/2cupgrated parmesan cheese
- 4tbspchopped parsley
- Heat chicken stock in a small pot and keep on low heat.
- In a medium size heavy sauce pan, saute garlic in 1 tsp olive oil.
- Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup of the chicken stock and let the mushrooms cook about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Add butter to the pan and set flame to medium-low heat. Add shallots, sautÃ about 1 minute.
- Add rice mixing well until well coated and translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add wine, salt and pepper and mix well until it is absorbed into the rice.
- Ladle 1 cup stock into rice and mix until all stock is absorbed, add another ladle, and continue adding and stirring until all broth is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, parmesan cheese and parsley, mix well and serve.