Fiesta Lime Rice
Rice, black beans, tomatoes, scallions, cilantro and lime juice, every bite of this colorful side dish will feel like one big fiesta in your mouth! Use leftover rice and this side dish comes together in minutes.
I think my love of rice is innate having a Hispanic mother. This dish started as the filling for a vegetarian stuffed pepper recipe I dreamed up in my head, but when I put all the stuffing ingredients together all I kept thinking was... Wow this would be wonderful as is, or with some Chicken Ropa Vieja and melted cheese on top, or as a big burrito bowl topped with Sweet Barbacoa Pork or Barbacoa Beef or Pork Carnitas! You see excited a bowl of rice can make me!
So I decided to make this a two part recipe. Today I will post this as a side dish and let you decide how you want to eat it. Tomorrow stuffed peppers!!
There is always leftover rice in my house, my kids love it and leftovers make great lunches mixed with whatever we had for dinner the night before. If you don't have any cooked rice you can cook about 1 cup rice with salt and 2 cups of water to make enough rice for this. I heated the corn and the beans in the microwave a few seconds to make sure everything was hot before I served it. My family fights me on brown rice so I always make white, but brown rice would be wonderful as well.
Fiesta Lime Rice
- 1 1/2cupscooked long grain rice
- 3/4cupcanned black beans, rinsed and heated
- 3/4cupcooked corn, I used Trader Joe's Fire Roasted frozen Corn, heated
- 1large tomato, diced
- 1large scallion, diced fine
- 2-4tbspchopped cilantro, to your liking
- 1tbspfresh squeezed lime juice
- salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine hot rice, heated corn, heated beans, tomato, scallion, cilantro, lime juice and salt if needed.
- Toss and serve.