Lobster Rolls scream summer to me! Made with chunks of chilled lobster tossed with celery, shallots, chives, light mayonnaise and a little lemon zest served on a hot dog bun ' delicious!
I love lobster! When I'm not eating Grilled Lobster Tails or Lobster Tacos, I'm usually enjoying lobster rolls all summer long! This easy lobster roll recipe starts with fresh steamed lobster, if live lobsters aren't available near you, frozen tails or fresh lump crab or even shrimp would be great! To keep it light, I mix in a little 0% Greek yogurt with the mayo, you can't even tell!
What are Lobster Rolls?
A lobster roll is a New England sandwich made of lobster meat served on a hot dog-style bun. Here on long Long Island, you can find them two ways ' cold or warm. Cold lobster rolls are made with chilled lobster salad tossed with mayonnaise, celery, etc served on a hot dog bun. Warm lobster rolls are steamed lobster served in hot dog buns drizzled with melted butter. Both are delicious, but cold is more popular.
I live just a few miles from the ocean so I am fortunate to have lots of fresh seafood stores nearby. I usually buy my lobster at Jordon's lobster farm, where they conveniently steam them for you if you wish.
Lobster Roll Variations
- Can't get fresh steamed lobster, use frozen lobster tails.
- Swap the lobster out for shrimp or crab meat.
- Skip the bun and serve them in lettuce cups for a low-carb option.
- Mayonnaise haters can replace the mayo with Greek yogurt.
How To Make Lobster Rolls
More Lobster Recipes:
- Lobster Cobb
- Grilled Lobster Tails
- Chipotle Lobster Avocado Wrap
- Lobster Salad with Corn and Tomatoes
- Lobster Tacos
For the lobster salad:
- 8ozcooked lobster tail meat, 2 tails
- 1tbspminced chives
- 2tspminced shallots
- 2tbspchopped celery
- 1tbsplight mayonnaise
- 1tbspfat free Greek yogurt
- pinchof black pepper
- 1/2tsplemon zest
Â For the sandwich:
- 3/4cupshredded lettuce
- 3hot dog buns
- Chop lobster into small bite sized pieces and combine with chives, shallots, celery, mayonnaise, yogurt, black pepper and lemon zest.
- Place 3 hot dog buns on a platter, top with shredded lettuce and 1/3rd of the lobster salad.
Photo credit: Jess Larson