Low-Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
These Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies are moist and made light by swapping out most of the butter for applesauce which works great!
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Chewy and moist, these oatmeal cookies are fabulous and loaded with chocolate chips in every bite! Perfect for your holiday baking, Santa will thank you for them! You may also like these breakfast oatmeal cookies which are more of a snack than a dessert.
Don't you hate when you make a low fat cookie recipe, only to be disappointed? These became a favorite in my home from the first time I made them. Try them first as is, then have fun coming up with variations.
I came across this recipe years ago on Baking Bites and it's now a regular in my cookie jar! For variations, try swapping out the chocolate chips for raisins or walnuts!
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Tips
Because these use less better, it's crucial not to over-bake them if you want them chewy. The applesauce makes them moist, but if overcooked they will become dry so if you're not sure if your oven runs hot it's probably best to take them out a minute or two earlier.
Once they come out of the oven, transfer them to a wire rack so they cool completely before storing.
I made the serving size 2 cookies, because I can bet you won't eat just one!
More Cookie Recipes You Will Love
- Gingerbread Christmas Tree Cookies
- 3-Ingredient Almond Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Clouds
- To-Die For Coconut Cookies
- Peppermint Meringues
Low Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- 1cupall purpose flour
- 1tspbaking powder
- 1/2tspbaking soda
- 1/2tspground cinnamon
- 2tbspunsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2cupunpacked brown sugar
- 1large egg
- 1/4cupunsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2tspvanilla extract
- 2cupsquick oats
- 3/4cupdark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F; line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use a silpat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, with a mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars on medium speed.
- Add the egg, followed by the applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain; stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop heaping tablespoonfuls (approx 1 tbsp each) of the dough onto prepared baking sheets, flattening each cookie slightly (I forgot to do this).
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container so you don't eat them all in one sitting!