Sweet Potato Pie
A healthy and delicious version of the classic sweet potato pie ' a perfect, easy sweet potato dessert recipeÂ for Thanksgiving!
In the spirit of the holidays, I bring you this little slice of heaven. A lightened-up sweet potato pie recipe, perfect for Thanksgiving. While most dessert pack empty calories, this dessert is made with healthy sweet potatoes, which are high in beta-carotene and vitamin C.
This simple pie recipe is great for beginner bakers and for anyone who is super busy with all the holiday festivities. To make this quick and easy, I use a store-bought frozen pie crust.
If you've never baked a sweet potato dessert, you're missing out! I love baking this sweet potato pie recipe during the holidays. I actually prefer it to pumpkin pie. Both pies are very similar, but sweet potato pie has a little more texture from the fresh potatoes. Another sweet potato dessert to try is my recipe for Mini Sweet Potato Meringue Pies.
Crust-less Sweet Potato Pie
To make it even lighter, go crust-less! For a crust-less version, spray a pie dish with baking spray, pour the sweet potato mixture into the dish, and bake as directed. Without the crust, it's only 144 calories per slice. On the new MyWW plan without the crust it's 3 Purple, 5 Blue and 6 Green. (I personally prefer mine with the pie crust ' it's definitely worth the extra points for the holidays!)
How to make Sweet Potato Pie
First, you must boil the sweet potatoes and blend them in a blender. Once smooth, put the potatoes in a bowl with the butter and mix well. Then, mix in all the other ingredients. Pour into a pre-made pie crust and pop in the oven. The recipe really is that easy!
More Pie Recipes You Will Love
Sweet Potato Pie
- 1-1/2lbssweet potatoes
- 2tbsplight butter, softened
- 3/4cuplight brown sugar, not packed
- 1/2cup1% milk
- 2large eggs
- 1/2tspground pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2tspground cinnamon
- 1tspvanilla extract
- 19 inch unbaked pie crust
- Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 50 to 55 minutes, or until soft. Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin. Blend potatoes in a blender and pulse for about one minute to remove all fibers.
- Place sweet potatoes in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well. Using an electric mixer, mix in sugar, milk, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with cool whip and enjoy!
Photo credit: Erin Alvarez