Tamil recipes Wheat Vellum Alwa is a popular dish in south India It is usually made of sugar as well. But vellum which jaggery is healthier and inexpensive. So I decided to show that but if you cannot get vellum please do not be worried just use sugar though the proportions are different, use 1/4 less for sugar.
The whole process for Wheat Vellum Alwa recipe is simple enough except for the ‘patham’ the consistency as we call it. If you don’t get that right it is either too hard or too soft when it sets. The correct mixing is always done only with concentrated supervision Do not leave it and go at the end when it is all coming together. Stay with it till the end and stir well till you let it to set. Adding nuts and raisin is up tot you, it taste better.
- Butter 1 cup
- Wheat flour 1 cup
- Corn starch 1 tbsp
- water 1 cup
- Vellum 1 cup
- cardamom 4
- salt 1/2 tsp
- In a frying pan add the wheat flour and stir fry to get the roasted aroma for about a1 minute or two
- Take a good large pan and add butter, let it melt
- Now add the roasted flour to the butter. Reduce the heat between low to medium
- Fry in butter for about 3 to 4 minutes or just a bit longer if you do not smell the flavour of alwa.
- Separately in a pan mix the vellam with 1 cup water on low heat. Mix corn starch separately and stir well without any lumps
- Add the vellum water slowly into the fried mix and stir quickly. Now add the corn starch water also
- Now once you have reached the smooth mixture of always consistency just pour it onto a serving dish
- Smooth the upper layer and let it set for about 5 minutes
- It is ready to serve
Wheat Vellum Alwa Recipe