Ven Pongal Recipe
Pongal is unique to Tamilnadu. It literally has a meaning to boil or spill after boil over. There are many shades but mainly two varieties sweet pongal and non sweet or salty pongal.
Tamil recipes Ven Pongal usually means the spicy salty pongal a common breakfast along with dosai and idli and vada in south India. In temples and festival days rice boiled with milk and jaggery or sugar is the sweet pongal.
- Rice 2 cups
- Pasi parupu 1 and ½ cup
- Cashew nuts 10 broken pieces
- Cumin ½ tsp
- Whole Pepper 10
- Ghee 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves few
- Salt to taste
- Rinse in water the rice and dal
- Either in a cooker or pan boil rice and dal. Add about a cup of water
- Stir fry with ghee, whole pepper, cumin seeds, cashew nuts and curry leaves slightly
- Pour the stir fried ingredients on to the cooked rice and dal. Add salt to your taste. Switch off
- Traditionally Ven Pongal is served hot with coconut chutney and sambar