Thakali erratu Gravy Recipe
This is my mother’s specialty from Tamil Recipes of Pasumalai, Madurai. Rattu is the Tamil word for shrimp or prawns. The king prawns if good but sometimes it is a bit fleshy and tastes like chicken, I prefer the medium size or the smaller variety to get the fishy flavor and not too ,much flesh. But you can use any shrimp erattu you prefer. Tomato and green chili and red chili powder without any other garam masala are better.
- Prawns/shrimp 2 to 4 cups depending on size of prawns
- Green chili 4 medium
- Red chili powder 2 tsp
- Turmeric 2 tsp
- Tomato 1
- Small (shallots) onions 1 cup pieces
- Ginger/garlic paste 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil 4 tbsp
- Water to cook
- Clean the prawns and peel the shell off. Marinate with 1 tsp of turmeric, 1 tsp of ginger/garlic paste, salt and 1 tsp of red chili powder.
- Use a good wide pan and pour oil. When hot add tomato and fry a bit. Now add onions and green chili (slit sideways). Fry till onions are done.
- Now add the red chili, turmeric, ginger/garlic paste and fry for about 1 minute.
- Add the marinated prawns and stir fry for about ½ minute and then add about 1 cup of water. Cover with a lid and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Taste the prawns and see if cooked as per your consistency. Some like it well cooked some soft, so you decide when it is good enough for you and switch off the heat.
- Serve with rice and sambar, chappatis or idli and dosai.