- Pigeon pea- 1 cup
- Sambhar onion (shallot) – 6 or 7
- Green chili- 3 or as per taste
- Garlic – 2 clove
- Tomato – 2 big
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Coconut – a little
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaf
- Cumin seed – ½ teaspoon
- Oil- as needed
- Asafoetida powder – a pinch
- Mustard seed – 1/4 teaspoon
- Split black gram – 1/4 teaspoon
- Start with grinding coconut, cumin seed, and green chili, 1 sprig of curry leaves in a blender or mixer. Do not use water to grind these ingredients, grind it dry without any water.
- Now, take water in bowl and soak tamarind in it for 15 minutes and squeeze it to get a thick tamarind paste.
- Now, take a pressure cooker and heat it up, now add pigeon pea, tomato, sambhar onion (shallot), turmeric powder, salt, add water to now cover the lid of the pressure cooker and cook it till pigeon pea get cooked nicely.
- When the pressure is gone then open the lid of the cooker and then add tamarind juice, ground powder and bring to boil and then keep it aside.
- Now you have to prepare or tempering, for that you required to heat a pan then add some oil , add cumin seed, split black gram, curry leaves, asafoetida powder once the cumin seed stop cracking, add sambhar onion and cook it till it get golden brown. Now add this tempering to the mail dish in the cooker and serve hot.
- This side dish goes very well with plain rice. 1 hour time is required to prepare this tasty dish.