Manathakkali Vathal Curry Recipe
- manathakkali vathal – 3-4 tblsp
- Sambhar Powder – 2 tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Tamarind – gooseberry sized ball
- Channa dal – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Sesame Oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Start by soaking the tamarind in 1 cup of water for 5-10 minutes. Then extract the pulp.
- Now heat a wok and add 2 tbsp oil then add mustard seeds, wait till it starts crackling then add the channa dal and fenugreek.
- When channa dal turns brown, then add dry red chillie and asafetida and curry leaves.
- Add Turkey berry (manathakkali vathal) and sauté for about 25-30 minutes.
- Now add the sambhar powder and cook for half a minute.
- Now add salt along with tamarind pulp. Now cook it for the next 15 minutes on low flame.
- When the gravy gets thickened and oil gets separated and adds fresh curry leaves and switch off the flame.
- Serve the gravy hot with rice, chapatti, paratha.
- You can also make this curry with other vegetable of your choice like drumstick, brinjal, bitter gourd etc