Coconut Milk Tamarind Rice Recipe
- Basmati rice or any regular rice – 1 cup
- Chopped tomato – 2
- Dry chili – 4
- Split bangal gram –1/2 teaspoon
- Tamarind – 1 big size
- Shredded coconut – 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek seed – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaf – 8
- Salt – 1 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Oil – 3 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Spit black gram – 1 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Mustard seed – 1/2 teaspoon (tsp.)
- You have to start with soaking the split Bengal gram for 5 minutes in water, then drain the water and keep the Bengal gram aside.
- Now roast the fenugreek and powder it and also keep this aside.
- Make thick coconut by grinding the coconut with ¾ cup of water in a mixer grinder. Strain the milk from the mix and keep it aside.
- Now, take the strained coconut pulp with 3/4 cups water in a grinder. Now strain the liquid from the coconut, that gives you light coconut milk and keep it aside.
- You have to soak tamarind in 3/4 cup of water for next 30 minutes, and then take out the thick juice by squeezing the tamarind. Add this juice to the light coconut milk.
- Now heat a pressure cooker and add some oil after that add mustard seeds, once the mustard seeds stop cracking then add soaked Bengal gram and sauté for some time.
- Now add black gram in it with curry leaves, red dry chili, turmeric powder, sauté it for a minute.
- Now it is time to add some chopped tomatoes and sauté for a minute.
- It is the time to add tamarind juice and coconut milk mixture.
- Add salt to taste and cook until it comes to boil.
- Add the basmati rice to the mix and continue cooking for a minute. Now add the fenugreek powder and cook for the next two minutes.
- Now add the thick coconut milk that you have prepared earlier.
- Now cover the pressure cooker with lid and whistle and wait for 12 minutes and 3 whistles.
- Wait for the pressure to release. Mix it well and serve hot.
- If you wish, you can cook it in the pan as well. This dish gets cooked in 1 hour.