Tamil Recipes Appam is similar to dosai in form but with different properties and consistency. This is also a breakfast menu in Tamilnadu, a favorite snack as well. It is traditionally combined with sweet coconut milk. It is also eaten with any curry or chutney.
Check above video from youtube by GreenhouseCuisine or try below recipe
- Raw rice 2 cups
- Cooked rice ½ cup
- Coconut milk 1 cup
- Baking soda 1 tsp
- Oil ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Mix raw rice with 4 cups of water ratio; soak for about 3 to 4 hours
- Drain completely and grind in a wet grinder or blender to like for dosai dough. Mix some coconut milk to ferment overnight.
- Next morning add baking soda and salt before frying appam.
- You need a special hollow frying pan for appam. Do not use dosai kallu. In the hollow pan, wipe oil with a cloth or paper not too much, pour about one spoon dough in the middle and lifting it rotate the pan to spread dough from the middle to the side.
- You need to form a lump in the center but thin crust on the edges going from the center. Thick in the center and crispy at the edges. You can add a little oil along the edges. You must cover with lid and for about 2 minutes before taking it out. Do not turn it over
- Serve with sweetened coconut milk mixed with milk. It is can also be served with hot curry of many sorts.