Carne en Bistec – Colombian Steak with Onions and Tomatoes
Beef lovers, you'll love this quick Colombian Carne en Bistec steak dish cooked with onions, tomatoes and cumin. The onions and tomatoes create a flavorful sauce which is wonderful served over rice.
Carne en Bistec – Colombian Steak
Serve this with an egg on top and it's called Bistec a Caballo. My Mom is Colombian, and made this dish all the time when I was a kid, it was one of my favorites! A few other Latin recipes I love, Carne Machacada (Cubes Steak with Peppers and Onions)Carne Guisada and Garlic-Lime Marinated Pork Chops.
If I had to describe Latin cuisine in one word, it's definitely flavor and comfort. My friends and family love when I cook some of the Latin dishes I grew up eating, for me those dishes are my comfort food. Picadillo, Sancocho, Pollo Guisado are all dishes that feel like home to me.
You'll find variations of this recipe in different South and Central American countries and regions. Some finely chop the tomatoes and onions, some use scallions in place of onions which is also delicious. As a kid I used to push the onions away, but now I just love them. For me, the egg on top is a must but it's totally optional.
- Have all your ingredients prepped before you start cooking.
- Slice the steaks very thin so they cook fast.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or sauteed veggies to make it low-carb.
- Sirloin tip side steak or London broil is a great option, it's extra lean steak with very little marbling. This cut usually needs to marinate or be cut very thin so that it won't be tough. Here is a great reference I like to refer to often for the 29 lean cuts of beef. If your budget permits, buy grass fed beef which is lower in saturated fat and cholesterol, and higher in omega-3 fatty acids, which are considered heart-healthy.
More Beef Recipes you might enjoy:
- Carne Asada Steak Salad
- Steak Kebabs with Chimichurri
- Crock Pot Picadillo
- Soy Marinated Flank Steak
- Broccoli Beef
Colombian Carne Bistec - Colombian Steak with Onions and Tomatoes
- 1-1/2lbssirloin tip steak, sliced very thin
- kosher salt to taste
- 1/2teaspoongarlic powder
- 4tspolive oil
- 1medium onion, sliced thin or chopped
- 1very large tomato or 2 medium tomatoes, sliced thin or chopped
- cooked rice and fried eggs, optional for serving
- Season steak with 1 teaspoon salt and garlic powder.
- Heat a large frying pan until VERY HOT.
- Add 2 tsp of oil then half of the steak and cook less than a minute on each side until browned.
- Set steak aside, add another teaspoon of oil and cook remaining steak. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add another teaspoon of oil and add the onions.
- CookÂ 2 minutes, until soft then add the tomatoes.
- Season with more salt, to taste, about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon. Add black pepper and cumin and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and simmer a few minutes to create a sauce, add more water if needed and taste adjust seasoning as needed.
- Return the steak to the pan along with the drippings, combine well and remove from heat.
- Serve over rice or veggie rice for a low carb option with a sunny-side up egg on top.